Thursday, April 5, 2012

Letter #12

an yong hah say yo!
 
WOW! I can't believe that I am here in Korea! Finally! It feels like a dream! The flight went by so fast...which was surprising. I thought it was funny that they sat me right in the middle of all the Elders. That made the trip really fun. When we were in the plane descending into Busan, I had chills come up and down my body and I knew at that moment that I was doing the right thing and that I was in the place that the Lord wants me to be. What a cool feeling that I will never forget!
 
My mission president and his wife are absolutely amazing! I couldn't have asked for better "parents" here in Korea. Sister Gilbert has an outgoing personallity and you can feel of her love for you the moment that you meet her. Her and President Gilbert both have such strong spirits and they love the work here. Since they have come, the mission has exploded with success and everyone is so blown away with the progress here in Busan. I love that they focus directly on us missionaries and helping us to recieve and recognize personal revelation. That is their focus and I absolutely love it! They are so inspired and I know that is why the mission is having such success.
 
My first area is in Tongyeong. It is in the very southern-most part of the mission. I love being able to see the ocean everyday and walking the streets of the city. I had the opportunity to meet my ward yesterday and fell in love with the people immediately. They are so kind and giving and I could feel of their love and support with the work that I am doing. There were 23 people at church, including my companion, me, and children. I am hoping to really help ward members come back to church. Also, Sister SeoNari's, from the MTC, family lives in the ward that I am attending! What a blessing! I am so excited to meet them and tell them that she is well!
 
My trainer and first companion is Sister McComber. She is American (most of the sisters in our mission are American). She is absolutely amazing and I felt comfortable around her right away. She has great Korean and is so patient with me and teaches me so much about the culture and helps me feel at home. I like that she is so open and it helps me to be open with my feelings too. She said that Tongyeong is one of the most special parts of the mission because there is a special spirit here and many missionaries go off of feelings that come to them while being here. She said it is based all on personal revelation. I was surprised when she told me that because the moment I entered the city, I felt a sweet spirit and immediately knew that our focus here should be the Book of Mormon! When I told her this, she just smiled and said "I know!" I am so happy to be working with her and I think we will have much success this transfer.
 
Korea is so different than what I was expecting. It is full of big cities and I am so shocked that these cities are so quiet. That was the first shock I had when arriving in Korea was how quiet the cities and people are. Everyone just stays to themselves. Everyone I have met so far is so nice and is so patient in listening (even to my very slow Korean). They are so pleased that we are here and that we are trying to embrase their culture. They are very proud of their culture and it means a lot to them when a foreigner knows things about the way that they live. Another fun thing about Korea is that almost everyone lives in apartment building. When we go proselyting, we ring the doorbell and a camera comes on so that they can talk to us without opening their door...haha! Only in Korea! They are so technologically equiped and I am so surprised at how Americanized their cities and homes are.
 
I have been sleeping on a tri-fold since being here...which is a lot easier than I expected. I think that also may be because I am so exhausted by the end of the day that it wouldn't matter where I slept, I would be out! It has been hard with the jet-lag this past week and having a cold on top of it, but I am finally feeling like I am getting used to the routine.
 
The food here is actually really good. So far everything I have had to eat is good! I even tried kimchi and loved it! I think that was a major blessing. We haven't had a meal with a member yet, but will be having one this week. I am really nervous for it!!! I will be praying that I will like the food and be able to eat it! The seaweed is still hard to like, but I am working on it a little at a time! I know that I will end up loving it like all the other missionaries, I just have to aquire the taste first. My companion told me that when she came to Korea that she was the pickiest eater ever and had the hardest time with the food, but now she absolutely loves it! This really gives me hope!
 
Today, we are going with our zone to The Cherry Blossom Festival! I am so excited to see a new part of the mission and to meet other missionaries!
 
I am so grateful to be here and for this amazing opportunity! It is hard work, but there is no place I would rather be at this time in my life! Everyday when I bare my testimony of the truthfulness of this gospel, I feel of my Heavenly Father's love for me and I know that this gospel is true and that it can bless anyone in the world! It is for all of us and I am grateful for the guidence and the happiness it brings to my live everyday!
 
Thank you all for your support and prayers!
 
Have a wonderful week!
Sister Kersey

No comments:

Post a Comment