Sunday, October 7, 2012

Letter #34

안녕하세요!

Congratulations Shannon and Loren on your new beautiful baby! How exciting! I am so happy for you both and he is absolutely adorable! During the week I randomly thought about you both and had a feeling that you would be having your baby sometime this week! I am so happy to hear that it went well and that you are both healthy and happy!

This week flew by and was an absolute blast! We just kept seeing more and more miracles happening. I absolutely love it here in 금정 and love my companion Sister Chase! She is absolutely wonderful and one of my favorite companions so far. Even though she arrived in Korea only 6 weeks after me, we have been having a blast! She is so fun and I feel like I can be my absolute silly, crazy self around her and she loves it!

This week for our English class, the topic was on food and we decided to make an American meal for our class! We set the table and make spaghetti. It was absolutely hilarious making the spaghetti in a rice cooker...I would never have guessed that could work so well. Our class got a kick out of our American etiquette and eating their spaghetti with a fork and spoon rather than with chopsticks. It was one of their favorite classes and we were rolling the whole time watching them try to have American manners (I didn't realize how completely opposite everything is here compared to at home...not even how you eat is the same. haha!)

We have been really struggling in this area to have any success with people talking to us or progressing. It is a college city and very busy, but extremely hard for missionary work. We have tried going up to the college and handing out English class fliers, but no one seems to be interested in us or our message. The other day, after our zone conference, we were on the metro with the Elders going back to our area. One of the Elders in our area is a brand new missionary...this is his second week here in the field. My companion and I sat next to a woman and started talking with her, but she seemed completely uninterested and got off at the next stop. The new Elder sat down and tried talking to a man next to him that completely rejected him and got off at the next stop. So there we were, the four of us (the two Elders, my companion, and I) sitting in a row. I looked down and saw the Book of Mormon in the new missionary's hand and had a feeling to share with him a scripture. I reached for the Book of Mormon and thought "Heavenly Father, I don't know what scripture to share with him.." Then the thought came "Share your favorite scripture." So I turned to Ether 12:27 and handed it to the Elder. He read the scripture and in his broken English said "Thank you." We again sat in silence. Suddenly a man from across the isle looked over at us and said "What is that?" as he pointed to the Book of Mormon. The Elders got up and sat next to the man. They taught him shortly about the Book of Mormon and where it came from and gave him the book as a gift. What a cool experience....to have a feeling to share a scripture and to have someone on the outside be moved by that simple act. The new Elder was so excited and later told me that that was the exact scripture he needed at the time because it gave him courage to keep going because with God "our weaknesses will become strong". He knew that he could keep going, even after rejection! What a sweet experience that I will always cherish the rest of my mission and life.

We also had another miracle at church on Sunday. One of the daughters of a less-active family that we tried to visit came to church, along with one of our investigators. Heavenly Father has been so good to us in such a difficult area to keep his work going! I am so grateful!!

This work is the most rewarding work in the entire world. There is no words to describe the feeling that is with us everyday as we go out on the streets and testify of what we know is true deep in our hearts. I know that this church and gospel is true. I know that Heavenly Father loves us and blesses us as we are obedient and try to do all that is right. I love missionary work and I love being here in Korea teaching the gospel to these beautiful people!

I love each of you!

사랑합니다!

커시 자매
Sister Kersey

No comments:

Post a Comment