Friday, February 17, 2012

Letter #5

An nyong hah sey yo!!!
 
So I don't even know where to start! This week has been incredible! One of my companions, Sister Kent left for Korea on Monday morning because she was in the older district. I can't believe how fast time goes! I was sad to see her go because she has become a great friend to me. I am happy to know that I will see her again in Busan, though! Now with the older district gone, we are the older ones...which means we are half way throught the MTC! CRAZY!!! It doesn't even seem real! My district celebrated our first month "anniversary" as we call them by playing ping-pong in our classroom with a mini, travel-sized ping-pong set. We had candy and watched Mormon Messages! It was a fun "party"...at least the funnest you can have while on a mission! haha!
 
On Sunday, the native Korean district sang a song for the branch as a farewell song. I had the opportunity to play the piano for them. It was fun to rehearse with them because it was all in Korean and they were so patient and kind to me. They are such grateful people and they always compliment me on everything I do. (When I bore my testimony to the native Korean sisters, they screamed with joy after each sentence I said! It was wonderful! They are so supportive and happy!) It is nice to have their smiling faces around to lighten my day and uplift me. My companions took pictures of them singing and me playing the piano because it was so funny to see all these Korean people surrounding a little blond, American girl. I guess this is just the start of looking out of place! They left with the older district on Monday, as well, and I am already looking forward to when more natives come.
 
On Sunday, one of the branch presidency members, Brother Stoddard, came and talked with my district during Sunday school. He shared with us stories about his mission in Europe. He had the opportunity to serve with Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. It was amazing to hear the story of how Elder Holland influenced his mission and what he taught him. I was so touched when he told us that while serving with him he felt a strong impression that Elder Holland would be serving on the councils of the church someday. He watched Elder Holland through the years in different leadership positions and he kept getting the same impression that he would be on the councils of the church. Finally when Elder Holland was called to be in the first quorum of the seventy, before becoming an apostle, Brother Stoddard received an impression that he was to tell Elder Holland about his impression that he receive all those years ago while serving a mission with him. He visited with Elder Holland, not knowing why he was the one to receive that impression all those years ago and why he had to tell him now, but while telling Elder Holland this story, Elder Holland's eyes filled with tears and it was one of the most precious things to him. He said that he was struggling to know if this calling was really right for him, and that Brother Stoddard's message was an answer to prayer. I was so touched by this story and how the Lord uses us to help others around us. If Brother Stoddard had not listened all those years to that prompting he had while on his mission, he would not have been there when the Lord needed him to comfort one of his children. Brother Stoddard then bore testimony to each of us that he knew that Elder Holland was an apostle of the Lord and that he truly is one of the most humble men that he knows.
 
I am grateful for the men of the church that lead and guide us. I know that they are men of God and that they are inspired and instructed by him! I love each one of you and miss you dearly! I hope all is going well and I am grateful for the love and support you show to me!
 
Sister Kersey

No comments:

Post a Comment