Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Letter #28

안녕하세요!

WHAT A BIZARRE WEEK! Our week consisted of a man from a merchant ship coming to our church to tell us America was in danger, a wealthy old man trying to stock my companion and I to ask us to marry him, and of course having a 90 year old man open the door completely nude while we were proselyting door to door. But don't worry, President and Sister Gilbert have had a very close eye on us this past week. The joys of being American girls in a foreign country. It is always entertaining.

But we had a very productive week too during all of our strange encounters. We had the opportunity to go to President and Sister Gilbert's home to have dinner and Family Home Evening last Monday night with our investigator Sister Soe and our bishop's wife, who is practically my mom here in 연산, Sister Lee. We had the most delicious meal of salmon and chicken and homemade rolls. I felt like I was back at home. We sat around at a table and in chairs and each had our own plates to dish our food onto, like we would back at home. It was the weirdest thing for me and I felt in culture shock...not even joking. I had forgotten how to eat at my one plate and realized that since being here in Korea, I have developed the worst table manners. But it was definitely a treat and we were able to sit together and share a message about the scriptures. The spirit was so strong and Sister Soe even explained her favorite scripture story with us. She was moved by the sweet spirit in the Gilbert's home and I could see a change come upon her. Her heart was opened.

We also met with our Chinese investigator, Sister Jeong. She has been practicing praying and said that she feels that she is coming to know God through doing so. She asked us if we think God really is listening to us, or if He is just sleeping. I know for sure that God hears everyone of our prayers and cares about each one individually. I know that He not only hears our prayers, but answers them. She is so moved by our messages and is so open to hearing about the gospel. It is such a miracle to see someone that did not even know there was a God or Jesus Christ to now be coming to know them personally and create a relationship with them.

On Saturday, we met with Sister Park. She is so excited to be baptized and is preparing herself to tell her family. We discussed with her the chapter in the Book of Mormon that we asked her to study. She loves the Book of Mormon so much and always comes to us with comments and questions and insights on what she had read the previous week. We taught her about the ten commandments and the Word of Wisdom. She knew this lesson was coming for a while now...she drinks three cups of coffee a day. When we asked her to quit drinking coffee and alcohol, we decided to make a pact with her. She would just have to try it for one week and we would give up something too for this week. We decided to give up chocolate (which everyone knows how addicted I am to my chocolate!!!) and every time she craved coffee, or we craved chocolate, we would text each other to motivate each other to keep going. We decided to start that Sunday morning, but when she came to church the next day, we were shocked when she told us that she decided not to go to the Pub one last time on Saturday night, but stayed at home and drank water. We were so surprised. She is doing so well and it is because she knows the truthfulness of this gospel and the truthfulness of the Word of Wisdom. I am so impressed with her example and my testimony has strengthened because of it.

This work is so great and the spirit that comes from doing it is so powerful! I am so grateful for this opportunity and for the people that have strengthened me and my testimony here. Everyday is full of a challenge and adventure and I am grateful to be part of such a wonderful work!

I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week!

사랑합니다,
커시 자매

Sister Kersey

No comments:

Post a Comment