Sunday, August 5, 2012

Letter #26

안녕하세요!

WOW! It is a start of a new transfer and many changes are going to be happening! I am staying in 연산, and Sister Brady is being transferred. I am not going to lie...I am absolutely TERRIFIED!!! Sister Brady has almost served half of her mission in this area, for five transfers (seven months) and the she is practically one of the ward members. Which means that yesterday, all after church, the ward was crying and saying good-bye to their favorite missionary. Those are going to be some hard shoes to fill. The pressure is on...and wow, I can feel it. I just picked up my new companion today. Her name is Sister Barber and she is in her seventh transfer. We are so excited to be working together and she is already shocked at our area and the things we have lined up for this transfer. Right now we have twelve investigators that we are meeting with regularly and I already had to plan for all of this week even before my new companion came, because I kept setting up more and more appointments. We are definitely one of the busiest, if not the busiest area in the mission right now. It is so fun having days filled with back-to-back appointments!

Today, all of the transferring missionaries met with President and Sister Gilbert. The Elders from our area, Sister Brady, and I had to give a presentation on English class, as a introduction to our training that we will be doing this transfer at zone conferences. We put a skit together and made it really fun for the missionaries. Something funny, but  full of facts and of course lots of pictures of our English class to demonstrate what their English classes can look like. 

This week, we met with our Chinese investigator and her son. We had asked her last week to watch "Finding Faith in Christ". She had watched it, and her husband decided to watch it with her. Her husband had heard many bad rumors about our church, but after watching the video, he said that he knows this church is a good church and he liked the message in the movie. She kept saying that she didn't know why, but she wanted to watch the movie over and over again. We were thrilled and gave her a copy for her and her family.

We are still faithfully meeting with all of our investigators. 서 자매님 (Sister Soe) and 조 자매님 (Sister Cho) came to church on Sunday to see Sister Brady and Elder Innis's farewell talks. Sister Cho had such a wonderful time in primary with the children, and young women's with the teenage girls learning to make food. She was just glowing by the end of church and did not want to go home. We found out this week that the woman that she was living with, with her dad, was not really her mother. This woman was opposed to her getting baptized, but now the parents are separated and getting a divorce. Since the separation, she has been so much happier and is always allowed to meet with us and come to church. Her father sees us as good mentors for his daughter and she says that she loves and believes what we are teaching her to be true. We called her father last night and finally asked him for permission for her to be baptized. He gave the permission and we are going to do the paperwork this week, with her interview and hopefully plan for a baptism this Sunday. This gospel makes her so happy and it is so wonderful to see how freeing it makes her feel. Heavenly Father always finds a way for His children to be safe and receive His blessings. It is always based on His timing.

On Thursday, we had our big musical fireside after English class on the Plan of Salvation. President and Sister Gilbert came for English class and stayed for the musical performance. They video taped us "in-action" and want to send what we are doing to the area presidency. Sister Gilbert joined my class and the subject was on families. It was fun to see her interacting with the class about the strength in her family and what she enjoys doing with them. It is so interesting to see how even in English class, we can talk about our lives and the blessings we have received through the gospel on a day-to-day basis. They recognize the happiness and comfort it brings to us in how we raise our families and what we view as important. When the musical fireside was about to begin, I was shocked to see people coming in that were not in English class. More and more people kept filing in and the chairs were almost filled by the time we began. We had two of our investigators sing songs and the children sing "I'm trying to be like Jesus" at the end of the presentation. It turned out great!

I have learned so much this week. I have learned that I can do and am absolutely nothing without my Heavenly Father. I had a really hard time this week because I felt so inadequate and realized that I know absolutely nothing, both as a missionary and of course Korean. I felt so intimidated to be left here in my area, in charge of all our investigators and our members. I just felt like I couldn't do it...not because I did not want to do it, but because I felt like I did not have the knowledge to do it. But, the Lord humbled me fast by getting me sick with a high fever for a few days, and I realized that it is never about me. Not only are success from the Lord, but opportunities are from Him as well. It is by love that this work is able to go forth. That is the key to missionary work. Through love we are able to teach people about Jesus Christ. Through love we are able to lift people that are down or depressed. Through love we are able to understand people the way that Heavenly Father sees them. And through love we can do anything and everything that the Lord asks us to do. I have full trust in my Heavenly Father and that trust comes because I can feel of His love for me. I know He loves me and I know that He loves all of His children. I know this because I can feel of His love for those I teach and people I talk to everyday. This work is a special work. It is a special opportunity to feel even the smallest percent of love Heavenly Father has for His children. I love it and cherish every opportunity.

I love you all with all my heart!
Have a fantastic week!

사랑합니다!
커시 자매

Sister Kersey

No comments:

Post a Comment