Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Letter #1

To my beautiful family and dear friends,
I cannot believe that I am here at the MTC as a full-time missionary! It doesn't even feel real! I only have 20 minutes to write this e-mail and I don't even know where to begin! I have absolutely been loving the MTC! The spirit here is so strong and the positive attitudes from all the missionaries is contageous!
I have two wonderful companions, Sister Baker and Sister Wells-Longshore! We are all very different, but I already can tell why we are together and what I need to learn from both of them! Sister Baker has taught me of exact obedience by wanting to be five minutes early to everything and Sister Wells-Longshore has taught me how to stand up for myself! They are both wonderful and try their hardest to be obedient and take this time seriously! I grately appreciate that.
I am in a wonderful district here. I am so impressed by the Elders in my district. They are so self-motivated and have such strong testimonies of this gospel. I was so touched my their strong spirits -  even as 19 year old boys.
The Korean language has been a struggle and I feel somedays that it will be impossible to teach anyone in Korea! The Korean language is the second hardest language to learn here at the MTC and I can feel it! I have learned how to read, write, and pray so far! Missionaries are truly taught from the spirit and I know that Heavenly Father has been helping me to learn. There is no way that I could learn this language at the rate that I am without His help! My companions and many in my district have been extremely home-sick and overwhelmed by all that is expected from us. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to go to school and work hard so that it does not stress me out or effect me negatively! I have felt completely at home here and I have been extremely patient with myself in learning the language. I am so grateful for this so that I can completely focus on the work and not dwell on what is happening at home. I can feel that all is well and that gives me comfort. 
I have been teaching a Korean investigator with my companions. We have already taught him two times this last week. He came from Soeul Korea and is here in Utah to learn English. It has been a very humbling experience for me. I have learned that the language is not what teaches of the truthfulness of the gospel, but it is the spirit. In a fireside given by Jeffrey R. Holland, I learned that if you first become converted and bring the spirit with you to your lessons, the Lord will do 99% of the work. As I was teaching Chway Moon Young (our investigator), I had the opportunity of bearing my testimony of Heavenly Father's love for us. Although it was only two small sentences long and I could barely pronounce the words, the spirit came so strongly into the room and I know that he could feel of the sincerety of my message! This was what Elder Holland was talking about! This is how I know that the church is true and that missionaries are truly God's instruments here on the Earth. All He needs is for our willingness and testimony and He will do the rest!
I am so grateful for each one of you and your love and support for me. I truly can feel your prayers every day. They are powerful and they help me not get discouraged. I am grateful for the strength that I have learned from two beautiful parents and their testimonies that have helped create my own.
Mom, thank you so much for the wonderful e-mail! Your testimony will give me strength! Thank you for your confidence in me! It has always brought me peace and made me strong!
I wish that I could tell you more because there is so much more to be said, but for now I want you all to know how much I love and appreciate you in my life and the examples you set for me! Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment